Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Bucco's Are Coming...

Don't look now Pirate fans, but the season is just around the corner. In fact, the Pirates first spring training game is set for early next week against the Minnesota Twins, so gear up for another season of baseball in the burgh!

This isn't really a season preview, but I like to give my opinion about the old Bucs. As most know, just like Bice, I am very pessimisstic when it comes to the Buccos. Don't get me wrong, I like going to games, I like the team, and I really, really hope they do well. But I am somewhat of a realist when it comes to the Pirates and I like others, realize that the direction of this team will not change until ownership changes. And when I say change, I don't mean Bob Nutting wakes up one day and isn't a greedy bastard and decides the good people of Pittsburgh deserve a winner. I mean a new owner must take over the reigns of the club. I do feel like their is a little bit of hope with Frank Coonely and Neal Huntington running the operations though. It's just a wait and see situation.

Now on to this season. I think the Buccos will do worse than last year. With two LaRoche's on your team, you are almost asking for a loser. The pitching staff/bullpen are still very questionable. The only positive is that the position players coming back; Nasty Nate, Freddy, Doumit and Jack Flash are a positive. I say they win 65 games this year. Even if they prove me wrong, I don't think they win any more than 70 games. With this type of lineup I just don't see it any other way.

Also....I was thinking that since the Buccos are so horrible and haven't won in so long, what is it that keeps the fans interested? Individual performances from our star players? We don't have many, but it does keep fans interested. Don't tell me for one second that you didn't pull for Freddy when he was chasing a batting title in 2006 or that you didn't want Nate to have a career year last season, which he did. I always hoped Jason Bay would be closing in on 40 homers at the end of the season so you had some interest in the club. I guess we can only hope that Nate wins another Gold Glove and somehow Freddy manages to win another batting title. I can only hope.

No comments: