Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Time For a Super Prediction

The big game is coming up and I can hardly wait, just like the rest of Steeler nation. This is going to be a somewhat short post...quick and to the point.

I think that this game is going one of two ways. It's either going to be a blowout or a close game. I am sure you all think right now, "gee stein, a browns fan could have told me that" but most think that it will be a blowout in favor of the steelers. Here is my prediction on the game.

First, the steelers look like a solid team right now. They beat the chargers and got past a tough ravens team. Willie Parker looks to be healthy and back on track, while Hines Ward looks to be healthy as well. Big Ben hasn't turned over the ball in the playoffs which is a great sign. The O-line ran into some trouble against the ravens, but they had a tough defense so I can't say I was suprised. The Steelers D, however, looks great. They got turnovers when they needed them in the AFC title game, and with the exception of the ravens getting some good runs on us, I think the steelers shut them down for the most part. I'd say the steelers have an edge with having been to Super Bowl XL a few seasons ago.

Arizona on the other hand looks tough too. They may have the toughest offense we will see all year. Kurt Warner is a very solid QB with super bowl experience. Larry Fitzgerald is the best WR in the league right now. The cards got their running game going against the eagles in the NFC title game. I'd say they are most deadly through the air however with Steve Breaston and Anquan Boldin to compliment Fitz. On defense I can only think of a couple of guys though that are "stars" for them. They obviously have a solid D or they wouldn't be in the super bowl.

Here is where it gets tough. The Steelers have a great defense but haven't seen an offense like Arizona's all season. The cards have a great offense but haven't seen a defense like Pittsburgh's all year. Arizona was 9-7, just making the playoffs in a weak division. Pittsburgh was 12-4 winning their division with arguably the toughest schedule in the NFL. But like I said Pittsburgh has a bit of an edge with their experience.

I expect this to be a close game to a point. I think that Arizona will manage to get some big plays from their WR's, but I think the Steelers will shut down the run. Pittsburgh should have success running the ball, and if Ben is smart with the ball, he should make some big plays as well. I expect the Steelers D to come up with big plays too however and that will be the difference in this game. Overall though, it will be close until the final quarter or so.

Pittsburgh 24-17

No comments: